OIL PULLED RUG OUT FROM UNDER THURBER AND MINGUS

By Bartee Haile.

The post office at Thurber closed for good on Nov. 30, 1936, leaving the once thriving mining town with barely a pulse and neighboring Mingus on the critical list. Separated by two miles and the Erath-Palo Pinto county line, the two shared a mutual prosperity in the boom times of the coalburning locomotive. The future was bright for the mining mecca and the rail center until the dawn of the oil age pulled the rug out from under them both.
To view more please log in or subscribe to the digital edition http://www.etypeservices.com/Martin%20County%20MessengerID317/
Rate this article: 
No votes yet