TOWN GOES UP IN FLAMES TWICE IN FOUR DECADES

by Bartee HaNinety-nine years ago this week, the second major fire in four decades destroyed downtown Paris leaving 5,000 residents of the northeast Texas town homeless. Founded in 1844 on 50 acres donated by a pioneer merchant, the original inhabitants changed the name of the settlement from Pinhook to Paris. On the eve of secession, the community was a cattle and farming center of 700, a figure that more than tripled by 1877. ile

 

To view more please log in or subscribe to the digital edition  

Rate this article: 
No votes yet