ALAMO CENOTAPH PART OF CENTENNIAL CELEBRATION

Edgar's picture
ALAMO CENOTAPH PART OF CENTENNIAL CELEBRATION

In a solemn ceremony on Nov. 13, 1940, the Alamo Cenotaph was formally dedicated as a symbolic final resting place for those immortal martyrs denied a decent burial 104 years earlier.

As part of the Texas Centennial celebration, a hundred thousand dollars in federal funds were appropriated for the construction of a permanent tribute to the heroic handful, who gave their lives for Lone Star independence. The site chosen for the memorial was the city-owned plaza across the street from the Alamo chapel, the approximate spot where most of the defenders were believed to have perished.

Opposition to the project was led by the Daughters of the Republic of Texas (DRT), longtime custodians of the Alamo chapel. They argued that a new memorial was unnecessary and might detract from the original mission. The objections of the DRT were carefully considered but ultimately rejected.

 

To read more please log in or subscribe to the digital edition. https://etypeservices.com/Martin%20County%20MessengerID317/

Rate this article: 
No votes yet